Thursday, February 6, 2020


The Eucharist

   “Then Jesus took the loaves, gave thanks, and distributed them to those who were reclining, and also as much of the fish as they wanted.”  (John 6: 11)

   With five barley loaves and two fish Jesus fed thousands.  For those who recognize His presence in the Eucharist He continues to feed millions each day.

   In my opinion the account of the multiplication of the loaves is a forerunner of the Eucharist.  Jesus blessed the loaves and fishes and they were multiplied.  At every Catholic Mass Jesus, through the priest, again performs a miracle.  The bread and wine become the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of our Lord.

   Several years ago I applied to become a permanent Deacon in the Catholic Church but was not selected.  A non-Catholic friend of mine asked why I didn’t change churches and go to one that wasn’t so strict.  My response was immediate and sincere, “Because they can’t feed me.”

   “Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood you do not have life within you.” (John 6: 53).  It can’t be said much clearer than Jesus said it.  Many of His disciples left Him because they couldn’t accept this teaching.  Jesus did not call them back and explain that He was just talking symbolically or in parables; He let them walk away.  The Savior I know would not have allowed anyone to leave Him over a misunderstanding.  He meant exactly what He had said.

   Appearances can be deceiving.  The water turned to wine at Cana may very well have still looked like water, but it had been changed.  The bread and wine at Mass appear unchanged, but the substance has been altered.  They have become the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of my Lord Jesus Christ and He again feeds the multitudes.

You said I must eat Your Body and drink Your Blood.
I can’t explain the miracle of the Eucharist.
Miracles can never be explained.
I trust Your word and accept the miracle.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment