Tuesday, February 18, 2020


Rebuking Satan

   “Discipline yourselves, keep alert.  Like a roaring lion your adversary the devil prowls around, looking for someone to devour.”  (1 Peter 5: 8)

   In “The Screwtape Letters” C.S. Lewis tells the story of a senior demon advising one assigned to tempt a human to win his soul for Satan.  It is very enlightening in exposing the many subtle ways of the evil one.

   I sometimes feel that I have one of Satan’s demons assigned to me.  His sole purpose is to tempt me, lie to me, and do all in his power to win my soul for his evil master.  Thankfully I am certain that I also have a guardian angel who battles this demon on my behalf.  Regrettably, I sometimes fail to listen the angel and fall prey to the demon.

   I sit in church and notice the ladies a few rows behind me chatting as if they were at home visiting.  I see the man who decided shorts and a t-shirt are acceptable attire for receiving our Lord in the Eucharist.  I cringe at the casualness with which I see many accepting the Blessed Eucharist as if it were a mint or piece of candy.  Then I realize that I am sinning in my judging of others. I see the splinter in their eye but overlook the log in my own.

   “You Idiot!” is a common thought that comes to mind when someone cuts me off in traffic or does something else I consider stupid.  Instead I should either ignore it or say a prayer for the other driver.  I’m taking offense at one of God’s children rather than loving them.

   So many little things; so many times.  I believe there is great danger in what some would call “little sins”.  They add up, they lessen our consciousness of our sins.  If uncorrected they may lead to more and more serious sin as the awareness of our sins lessens.

   We must be bold and certain in rebuking the evil one.  Else he will devour our soul.

Lord give me strength.
Help me turn away from Satan.
Never let me believe His lies.
May I always turn to You when tempted.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment