Friday, February 7, 2020


The Good Times

   I guess we all sometimes relive the good times in our life.  It helps us keep things in perspective; the good times help us through those that are not so good.

   I remember as a young man living in Kentucky the good times I experienced at the farm of my wife’s family.  Many Sundays after Mass we would head out to the farm.  On the way we would talk and just enjoy each other’s company, looking forward to a great meal and a relaxing day.

   Our daughters had a great time running around finding the barn cats and trying to tame them.  Sometimes they would get to ride the work horse, ‘Ol Joe.  They fished in the pond as all the kids did and caught the tiny little fish, which were carefully unhooked and returned to the pond.

   We had just the two girls at that time, but the boys didn’t miss out.  Even though we had left our small hometown we still went back for visits and the boys got to experience the farm as well, enjoying the freedom of the open spaces and fishing in the pond.

   My favorite memory is just sitting under one of the large trees after dinner enjoying the shade and the breeze.  I could usually hear the kids running and playing which added to my enjoyment.

   The best part was when my wife would come sit beside me.  We usually didn’t talk much then, just held hands and felt the love God had given us to share.  How I miss those times.

   Things are much different now. the kids are all grown, and my wife is no longer with me.  I like to imagine she’s waiting for me to join her in heaven so that we can, at least in our memories, go back to some of those wonderful, peaceful days out on the farm.  I can hardly wait.

   “What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the human heart conceived, what God has prepared for those who love Him.”  (1 Cor 2: 9)

Lord, You’ve blessed me with many good times.
I thank you for the joy and happiness of this life.
I yearn for the time when I am with You.
I look forward to eternity with You.

Amen





No comments:

Post a Comment