Wednesday, March 4, 2020

A Humbled, Contrite Heart

   “My sacrifice, O God, is a contrite spirit; a contrite, humbled heart, O God, you will not spurn.” (Psalm 51: 19)

   This is the psalm of David expressing his sorrow for his sin of adultery with Bathsheba and the murder of her husband, Uriah (see 2 Samuel 11).  As I listened to the psalmist in his prayer of repentance the 19th verse stuck in my mind.

   No matter the sacrifice I offer, it is unacceptable to God unless it is offered with a heart in sorrow for the sins committed, a heart pleading for forgiveness.  If I were to give everything I own to charity but did not have humility for my sins I fear God would not recognize my sacrifice.

   Jesus gave up His glory for a time to become man.  He humbled Himself to become one of us in order to save us from our sins.  If we are to follow His example we too must suffer humility.  We must acknowledge and have contrition for our sins.  Our heart has to be humbled by the knowledge that our sins caused the death of Jesus.  Even in dying Jesus showed His humility in saying, “Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.” (Luke 23:46)

Lord teach me humility.
Give me a contrite heart.
I sorrow for my sins.
I offer You my heart in sacrifice.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment