Thursday, March 5, 2020


The Weeds of Life

   Anyone who knows me can tell you that I do not, never have and never will like yard work.  I do, however, enjoy having my rose bushes.  I like the plants that draw the hummingbirds to my house.  The pineapples I get from the few plants I have are the sweetest, tastiest I have ever had.  So, if I want to have those things, there is a least some yard work required.

      This morning I was again on my knees pulling weeds from my rose garden.  It has about become over-run due to my negligence.  I keep telling myself that keeping up with it is easier that tackling it once the weeds have pretty much taken over, but I still don’t do it as often as I should.  Like I said, I do not like yard work.

   I sometimes think God gives me tasks that I don’t like to teach me that I will have troubles to face in this world.  Many of these difficulties are from Satan, who scatters weeds in my heart in the hopes that they can push out the word of God.  The weeds in my roses would eventually suffocate the roses if left alone.  The temptations, desires and lies of Satan are intended to do the same thing to my faith; to smother it and pull me away from the Lord.

   Battling the weeds of Satan is never an easy task; it takes determination and prayer.  I confess my sins, pulling the weeds from my soul.  I try to keep the weeds from coming back but fail and sin again.  I again repent and in His mercy God again forgives and makes me whole.

   If I want my roses to flourish I must pull the weeds.  If my faith is to grow and deepen I must also keep pulling the weeds from my soul.

Lord my soul is like Your garden.
You sow only good seed.
The evil one sows the weeds.
Give me the strength to tend Your garden

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment