Tuesday, March 10, 2020


Worshiping the Golden Calf

   “Come, make us a god who will go before us; as for that man Moses who brought us out of Egypt, we do not know what has happened to him.” (Exodus 32: 1)

   The Israelites had barely left slavery in Egypt.  Moses was on the mountain speaking with God, receiving the commandments.  In this short period of time they could no longer bear to wait on the Lord.  They demanded that Aaron make them a god of gold.  A golden calf that they could worship as their god.

   How many times have I grown tired of waiting; looked away from God to false gods?  It so easy to assume that He know longer cares or that things are going so well that He is not needed.  This is the attitude the Israelites exhibited throughout their journey.  When things were good, they ignored Him, when things were bad they blamed Him for deserting them.  In both cases they turned to false gods.

   Their experience guides me.  The fickleness they displayed I try to avoid.  I know I’ve failed over the years, worshiping at the altar of earthly gods.  I try to keep in mind the Israelites and the punishments they endured for their actions against the Lord.  I turn to Him and ask forgiveness.  I beg His strength to keep me on the right path.

Lord the gods of this world are false.
You are the only true God.
Lead me from the false to truth.
Lead me to You.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment