Friday, March 20, 2020


Understanding Humility

   Our society tends to see humility as a negative, a show of weakness and lack of self-esteem.  I disagree.  Humility is understanding who I truly am and asking God to make me better.  It is an essential virtue if I am to grow in spirituality.

   Humility is recognizing that I am dust and will return to dust as we are reminded in this Lenten season.  It means that I have the potential to be far less than any other, but also that God has given me gifts that I need to share with others.  Humility is recognizing that God is God and I am not.

   If I only see myself as Paul, the great apostle, without recognizing that I could also be Saul, the greatest persecutor of the early church, then I need to take another look at myself.  I must not only try to relate to the Blessed Virgin Mary but also to Mary Magdalene who was freed of seven demons.  I must recognize the potential for sin and evil within me if I am to have the courage to deny myself and turn solely to God.

   I am merely a man stained by original sin and sorely tempted by Satan.  If I am to find the peace and light of heaven I so greatly desire I must recognize that I can’t get there on my own.  In humility I must turn to God and beg, “O God, be merciful to me a sinner.” (Luke 18: 13)

Lord help me in my weakness.
Teach me to rely on You.
Teach me humility,
That I may seek Your mercy in all things.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment