Thursday, March 26, 2020


Joy in Solitude

   Some people choose the solitary life.  Some have it forced upon them.  Due to the precautions necessary to keep COVID-19 from becoming far worse than it is we are all put in the position of being isolated from others.  Our family and friends are distant, shopping is difficult, even our churches are not open to us.

   Many who know me are aware that I’ve begun the process of becoming a Benedictine Oblate.  I won’t be a monk in a monastery, but I will strive to live the Benedictine spirituality as closely as possible in my day-to-day life.  It is a life of prayer and contemplation drawing on the grace of God to better know Him and serve Him.  It is a simple life, seeking God in all things.

   Despite the difficulties imposed by the COVID-19 restrictions this time has been of great benefit to me.  It has enabled me to better structure my life and grow deeper in the Benedictine way.  It has shown me that I can live this life and enjoy the solitude, the silence and the time alone with my Lord.  I have found a calmness of heart and soul.

   I am very much looking forward to being able to visit with my children and grandchildren.  I am anxious to resume my times with my friends, enjoying their company and fellowship.  I am looking forward to the blessings of physically attending Mass and receiving the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of my Lord Jesus Christ.  All these things are good and right.  But I will still remember this time as a time when I grew in my faith and devotion to God.

Lord even in difficult times You are there.
You give me strength and teach me.
You show me that there can be good in all things.
Thank You.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment