Tuesday, March 24, 2020


Knowing the Unknowable

   “If you understand, it is not God.” (St. Augustine)

   No matter how I try it’s not possible for me to truly know and understand God in this life.  Whether or not it is possible in the next can’t be known until it comes.  In the meantime I look for God in His creation.  Men and women, animals, nature, the universe and all things are the creation of God.  It is in His creation that He can be found.

   Moses met God in the burning bush (see Exodus 3: 2).  Elijah found Him not in the wind, earthquake or fire but in the light silent sound (see 2 Kings 19).  God is in all things; His presence is in all things.  He dwells within us to offer us the opportunity to become better, to become holy through His presence.

   Throughout history mankind has painted, drawn, sculpted and imagined an image of God.  But we want to see something we can’t comprehend.  We try to picture God as we picture Jesus, as a man.  But Jesus, though man for our sake, remained undefinable as God.  His humanity did nothing to change or explain the unknowable mystery of His divinity as part of the Trinity.

   In this life I can’t truly understand God, but I trust in His word and His promise of eternal light and happiness in the next.

Father, I try but I can’t truly know You.
You are the great I AM.
Fill me with Your love and spirit.
Bring me to Your eternal presence.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment