Tuesday, March 31, 2020


How Am I to Pray?

   “In the same way, the Spirit too comes to the aid of our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit itself intercedes with inexpressible groanings.” (Romans   8:26)

   Lord, I come before You in prayer.  But how am I to pray?  There are so many prayers, so many who will tell me how I should pray, but still I’m confused.  Are my prayers to be for the good of others, the good of myself or even the good of the world?  Are they to be prayers of thanksgiving and praise?  Am I to pray in sorrow for my sins, begging forgiveness and recognizing my weakness, asking for Your strength?  Am I to pray for all these and even more?

   I know You hear my prayers and will answer them.  Even if I don’t see or understand how You have chosen to answer, I know that You will never refuse prayer given in faith and humility.  Help me to never doubt Your love for me or question Your answer to my prayers.  “I do believe, help me in my unbelief!” (Mark 9: 24)

   Jesus taught His disciples to pray.  His prayer is simple but complete, expressing all we should say.  In His prayer is all we really need to say.  Yet I believe You are pleased when I come before You with specific worries and concerns.  My pleadings for Your love and mercy are sincere and You will not refuse sincerity in prayer.

   When all else fails, when I can’t pray as I should, send the Spirit to pray for me.  My first and last prayer is Your that will be done in all things.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment