Tuesday, March 3, 2020


Listening to the Word of God

   “Ignorance of the Scripture is ignorance of Christ.” (St. Jerome)

   If I am to know my Lord I must know scripture.  Not just the words but the meaning behind those words.  I must hear what the Lord is saying to me.  When sitting down with scripture I try to imagine that it’s just me and the writer visiting and discussing God.

   I read about the man who is, “like a tree planted near streams of water” (Psalm 1: 3). I realize that the Psalmist is speaking to me as well the Israelites.  I am to be that tree planted near running water, pushing my roots deep into the soil to draw from the stream which is the word of God.  His word refreshes me, giving me nourishment for my journey to Him.

   When I am distraught, feeling the world is weighing me down I turn to Psalm 34 and hear, “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; and those who are crushed in spirit he saves.” (verse 19).  He strengthens me, giving me comfort.  He tells me He is there and knows of my trials; He will help me, even carry me if needed.

   At times I feel that my efforts are insufficient; my sins and failings tell me I’ve disappointed my Lord.  I hear St. Paul tell of his struggles “For I do not do what I want, but do what I hate.” (Romans 7: 15).  If the Apostle to the Gentiles had to battle with Satan and sin then I am in good company.  He inspires me to confess, repent and try harder the next time.

   Just reading the scripture isn’t good enough, I need to quietly listen just as I would if I were sitting right there with them.  I become part of the crowd at the sermon on the mount; I hear the beatitudes and how I am to live them.  I sit with Jesus and hear the word of God.

Lord, let me sit with you and hear your word.
Open my heart and soul to listen.
Fill me with your wisdom.
Teach me your ways.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment