Saturday, March 14, 2020


Song of Songs

   The Song of Songs, sometimes called The Song of Solomon, is one of my favorite books of the Bible.  It is a beautifully poetic collection of lyrics about mutual desire, courtship and true love.  Using the image of human lovers it speaks to the love of a truly sacramental marriage; the total giving of one to another.

   To me it also tells of the love God has for each of us and the love we should have for Him.  Jesus said, “Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever does not take up his cross and follow after me is not worthy of me.” (Matt 10: 37 – 38).  Interestingly, the love one has for a spouse is not mentioned in this scripture, perhaps because the love of a spouse is as close as we can ever come to understanding the love relationship we are to have with our Lord.

   By comparing God’s love for us to that of a woman and a man very deeply if love we can better realize how our relationship with Him is to be.  He is all.  He is everything we desire.  His love is limitless and ours is to be the same.  He willingly and lovingly gives His all to us and asks the same from us in return.

Father Your love is eternal.
It is unlimited.
I offer You my love in return.
I will love You above all things.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment