Wednesday, March 25, 2020


According to His Will

   Today we celebrate the Annunciation, the coming of Gabriel to the Blessed Mother to announce that she had been chosen to be the mother of our Savior, Jesus Christ.

   St. Luke’s description of this event tells us that Mary was troubled by Gabriel’s message (see Luke 1: 26 - 38).  She didn’t understand how this was possible since she was a virgin.  Once it was explained that it would occur through the Holy Spirit and the power of God, she responded, “Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord.  May it be done to me according to your word.” (Luke 1: 38).

   God calls many, but how many answer as Mary did, with a "Yes".  Jesus said, “The harvest is abundant but the laborers are few; so ask the master of the harvest to send out laborers for his harvest” (Matt 9: 37 – 38).

   We are those laborers.  He calls us to reap His harvest, to gather His sheep.  I wonder if I would have the courage to accept a message such as the one Gabriel brought to Mary.  Would I have the faith and trust to agree to His call?  Would I find some reason why I couldn’t do what He asked?

   Mary was a young Jewish girl who knew very well that her yes to God could mean estrangement from family and friends, including Joseph, her betrothed.  She knew that if she was found to be pregnant without a husband she could be stoned as an adulterer.  She had the courage and the faith to say yes.  I pray that I would have enough faith and be brave enough to place my trust in God and say “Yes”.

Lord, behold Your servant.
Give me the strength to say yes.
May it be done to me
According to Your word.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment