Monday, April 26, 2021

 A Healthy Spiritual Life

   “Physical idleness deteriorates the mind; spiritual idleness deteriorates the heart.” (Bishop Fulton Sheen, “The Wisdom of Fulton Sheen: 365 Days of Inspiration.”) 

   Idleness is the enemy of maintaining a healthy body, a healthy mind, and a healthy spirituality.  The adage “Use it or lose it” applies in all three cases.

   If an athlete quits training, they will lose their ability to play at the professional level.  Their priority, therefore, is to train, train, and then train some more.  If I choose to sit, watching TV and snacking, I may lose the ability to live an active life of any kind.  Therefore, I try to get in a walk of a mile or so each day and to keep myself active in other ways.

   The spiritual life is very much the same.  If there is no effort to grow, then I am not just standing still, I am moving backwards.  My faith needs to be exercised by scripture, holy readings, the sacraments, and Mass.  Just as a marital relationship will collapse if ignored my relationship with God will suffer if I don’t come to Him often in prayer and contemplation.

   I am retired now, so I am blessed to be able to attend daily Mass.  Many who are in the workforce don’t have that blessing available, however, there are other ways to feed our spiritual needs.  Most churches are open throughout the day so even just stopping in for a quiet moment with the Lord is available.  If there is an adoration chapel, even better.  A few moments spent in prayer and contemplation in the mornings or before going to bed can do wonders to improve one’s spiritual life.

   Like anything else, if I want my spiritual life to grow and flourish, I must make it a priority in my daily life.  Sunday Mass is great but going a week without properly feeding the spirit can hamper the life I want to have with my Lord.  Just as my body will suffer if not properly fed, so to my spirit. 

The world is a busy place.

We forget that You should be our priority.

Help us to seek Your company often.

To make You the top priority. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment