Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Follow Where He Leads 

   “Although you may not know where he is leading you (and you can be sure that there will surprises along the way), it is enough that you should believe that God is your Father.”  (Frances Xavier Nguyen Van Thuan, “The Road to Hope: A Gospel from Prison”­) 

   Nobody ever said following God’s will in my life would be easy.  In fact, Jesus warned very clearly that, “Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up His cross, and follow me.” (Matt 16:24).  I must expect good times and not so good times in my life if I am to follow Him.

   God has given me so many blessings in life; the love of a wonderful wife, four great children, and many good friends.  But there has also been suffering; the worst of which was the loss of my wife far too early.  Still, I choose to follow Him knowing that there will most likely be other sorrows to come along with the many blessings He gives.

   For me, the key is to remember that this life is not all there is.  In the U.S., the average lifespan for a man is about 78 years (I will soon be 71).  But that time is nothing, not even the blink of an eye when compared with eternity.  As Saint Paul wrote, “What eye has not seen, and ear has not heard, and what has not entered the human heart, what God has prepared for those who love him.” (1 Cor 2: 9).

   This life goes on for I know not how long.  There will continue to be both joy and sorrow in this life.  I will thank Him for the joys and seek His peace and comfort in the sorrows.  I will give Him praise in all things.  He is my Father; He loves me with an eternal love, and I will follow Him to Heaven. 

The path may be difficult.

There will joy and there will be sorrow.

But Your path is a path to eternal peace.

I will follow where You lead. 

Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment