Wednesday, April 14, 2021

 Successful Prayer 

   “Prayer is successful when you pray not to change God or another person but to change yourself.” (Matthew Kelly, “A Call to Joy”) 

   I believe one of the most effective ways of causing change in this world is to change myself.  If I pray for the grace to live my life according to God’s will and follow His guidance I will live with peace in my heart.  Perhaps others may notice that peace and ask how they can get the same.  This gives me an opportunity to speak to them about the love, mercy, and forgiveness of God.

   Prayer is what takes us to God and keeps us there.  Not just prayer on Sunday, but prayer every day, every waking hour.  But our prayer is not to be for earthly desires, for more money, more fame or more recognition.  Our prayer should be that our lives be changed, that we allow God to make us holy, as He is holy.

   I sincerely believe that prayer for the betterment of our spiritual life is the best way to help change the lives of others.  When we become more holy we radiate that holiness to others; in the way we treat them, the way we care for them, the way we love them.  When we feed the hungry, clothe the naked, house the homeless we share the love of God.  Even a simple smile filled with the love of God can be a blessing to someone who’s struggling.

   A small pebble dropped into a lake creates ripples that spread throughout.  When we pray to change ourselves, desiring His will in our life, we can create ripples among our family and friends.  Perhaps those ripples will eventually change the world. 

Make me holy I pray.

Let me share Your holiness with others.

Make me different.

Make me Yours in all ways. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment