Thursday, April 29, 2021

 He Came to Heal 

   “Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do.  I did not come to call the righteous but sinners.” (Mark 2: 17) 

   Those who are prideful and profess their spirituality to gain recognition don’t think they need a savior.  In humility lies grace and they do not exhibit humility.  They have received their reward.

   Jesus came not to the religious leaders and the righteous but to sinners.  This not only perplexed them but caused them to reject Him.  They did not concern themselves with sinners and could not understand that the Messiah came to call them to Himself.  They could not grasp that He came in love and mercy to save those who were lost.

   To the blind He gave sight, but we too are blind.  We fail to recognize the sins we commit and are blind to the need of forgiveness.  We need to turn to Him in sorrow and repentance.

   He gave hearing to the deaf, but we are sometimes deaf to the word of Christ.  We hear the readings at Mass and perhaps even read scripture as part of our prayer life.  But do we listen only with our ears, or do we open our heart to His word.  If we hear but do not put what we hear into action, we too need healing.  We need to ask Him for understanding and guidance.

   Jesus forgave the sinners and took them to Himself.  Matthew, the tax collector, the woman caught in adultery.  He expelled seven demons from Mary Magdalene who then became one of His most ardent followers.  We need to look to Him and seek His forgiveness for our failings.

   Our Savior came to heal the blind, the deaf, the sinners, and me.  He offers forgiveness for my sins and promises eternal life with Him.  Though He knows my weaknesses and my faults, He loves me so much that He chose to suffer and die that I might find salvation in Him. 

You came to heal.

To bring sinners home.

I too am a sinner.

Heal me Lord, bring me to Yourself. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment