Thursday, April 1, 2021

 Holy Thursday 

  Many books have been written about the events of Holy Thursday.  Many more will most probably be written.  The spiritual learnings to be had in the events of that day are plentiful.  I want to look at only two.

   “My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me;” (Matt 26: 39).  Jesus was aware of the pain and suffering He was about to endure.  He knew of the torture of the scourging and crucifixion which was to come.  As any man would He wished it could be different; He desired to forego such agony.

   I have prayed many times for God to take away pain and suffering.  But pain and suffering is part of Christianity, just as Jesus taught.  Though it cannot be avoided, God is always there to help me through; to give me peace in times of turmoil and comfort in times of agony.  As Christ rose from the dead, so shall those who trust and believe.

   “yet, not as I will, but as you will.” (Matt 26: 39).  In His humanity He wished to be spared the coming pain and suffering, but in His obedience, He desired God’s will rather than His own.  This, I think, is one of the most difficult things required of a Christian; the faith, trust, and hope to recognize that God’s will is the will that brings us to eternal life.  Even in pain and sorrow I must submit my will to the Father’s, just as Jesus did that night in the Garden of Gethsemane.  I must trust and obey.

   Jesus, true man and true God, knew the pains and sorrows we all endure, but He also gave us the ultimate example of obedience to God’s will.  “Who, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God something to be grasped.  Rather, he emptied himself taking the form of a slave, coming in human likeness and found human in appearance he humbled himself, becoming obedient to death, even death on a cross.” (Ephesians 2: 6 – 8).  If we are to be with Him, we must trust in Him, pick up our cross each day and follow Him. 

Teach me humility.

Teach me obedience.

Teach me faith and trust. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment