Tuesday, April 13, 2021

 Living for each Day 

   “Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself.  Sufficient for a day is its’ own evil.” (Matt 6: 34) 

   I find that if I concern myself too much with the future I lose track of today.  Each day presents enough challenges of its’ own.  Concerning myself with what next week or next month will bring just adds to the chaos of each day.

   Of course this doesn’t mean I shouldn’t concern myself with things such as taking care of my health or foreseeing and planning for the upkeep needs of my home or vehicle.  Even planning for a trip means concerning myself with travel and hotel arrangements. 

   What it does mean, at least to me, is that I can’t concern myself with those things over which I have no control, such as politics and world events.  I am aware of and sorrowful that evil seems to be permeating everything and I must avoid evil and confront it when I can.  Those things I can do I must do, but I can do little to effect wide-spread change.

   My task is to do the best I can to avoid evil this day, to worship and serve my Lord to the best of my ability.  This involves prayer, and faith in God, a recognition and acceptance that He is in charge.  “Be still and know that I am God!” (Psalm 46: 11).  I would add, “and I am not”.  Too many times people think they can change things that only God has the power to change.

   It’s not up to me to change the world, but to change myself; to live in the world but not of it.  I must do the best I can to make my little corner of the world a better place and to serve my God to the best of my ability. 

You are God.

I am not.

You can change the world.

Help me to change myself. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment