Saturday, April 10, 2021

Solitude 

   “Solitude can be very rewarding and full of blessing because in the silence of the inner being, one finds God.” (Bishop Fulton Sheen, “The Wisdom of Fulton Sheen: 365 Days of Inspiration”) 

   I write quite frequently about solitude and silence.  It’s because I have come to love the quiet of solitude; the one on one time with the Lord, clearing all else from my mind, focusing only on Him.  It brings me great peace and comfort.

   I find that I am in pretty good company in my love of the solitude.  Monastics cherish quiet reflection with God; it is a way of life for them.  Many of the saints write of their time of silence with the Lord, shutting out the world and communing with God.  They speak of the strength and comfort gained in these times.

   Jesus also sought out solitude for prayer and reflection.  The gospels speak often of His going off by Himself to pray.  He spent the night alone in prayer before naming the twelve apostles (see Luke 6: 12 – 13).  He also encouraged the apostles to find peace away from others, “Come away by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while.” (Mark 6: 31).

   I believe it is important to a full spiritual life to remove oneself from all distractions and spend time alone with the Lord.  There are so many troubles and anxieties in everyday life that it can be easy to lose site of what’s really important.  Solitude and quiet time spent with God can bring focus to an otherwise chaotic life.

   Each evening I shut off all distractions, move into my bedroom, close the door, and spend time in prayer and contemplation.  Just to sit in the stillness, bringing God to mind, seeking His will, and thanking Him for His many blessings brings great peace and comfort.  My life is one of peace and contentment because of these quiet times spent with my Lord. 

Thank You for the quiet times.

The times to sit in silence with You.

To seek Your will in my life.

To thank You for Your many blessings. 

Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment