Thursday, April 15, 2021

The Blessed Sacrament 

   “Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.  Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life and I will raise him on the last day.”  (John 6: 53 – 54). 

   There are a lot of reasons that I am a Catholic but first and foremost I am a Catholic because of the Blessed Sacrament, the Eucharist, the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Christ under the appearance of unleavened bread and wine.

   My heart breaks when I see or hear of the Eucharist being dishonored.  It is far too common an occurrence these days.  Some who proclaim to be Catholic support and even participate in mortal sin yet go to Mass and receive the Eucharist.  Others come to the table with no reverence or awe at the incredible blessing they are about to receive.  They take it as they would a mint rather than the Body and Blood of our Lord.

   St. Paul warns, “Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord unworthily will have to answer for the body and blood of the Lord.”  (1 Cor 11: 27).  Those who accept the Blessed Sacrament when in a state of mortal sin or refusing to recognize the true presence is receiving it unworthily.  Though it may appear to be only a piece of unleavened bread Jesus is truly present within.  I can’t explain it and I don't need to.  Miracles, by definition, can’t be explained, they are outside the bounds of nature.

   Just as He changed water to wine, healed the lepers, gave site to the blind and hearing to the deaf, just as He raised the dead to life, He gives us His Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity in the Blessed Sacrament. 

You gave us the gift of the Eucharist.

Your Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity.

Open our hearts and minds to this truth.

Help us to receive It worthily. 

Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment