Thursday, April 8, 2021

 Called to Be Holy 

   “For I am the Lord your God; sanctify yourselves therefore, and be holy, for I am holy.” (Leviticus 11: 44) 

   Some are called to be priests, others to be deacons, still others to live a consecrated religious life.  Many are called to matrimony, some to celibacy and virginity.  God calls His people to serve in many ways.

   But before one can rightly answer a call to vocation, one must first accept the call to holiness.  Holiness is not something that comes with the priesthood or any other vocation; it is a calling in and of itself.  Unless we accept the call to holiness we will never properly fulfill the call to any vocation.

   God calls all to holiness, but He will not force it upon anyone.  I must accept it and, in a sense, give God permission to make me holy.  When the Blessed Virgin Mary was called to become the mother of the Son of God she responded, “Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord.  May it be done to me according to your word.” (Luke 1: 38). 

   “Whom shall I send?  Who will go for us?” “Here I am,” I said, “Send me!” (Isaiah 6: 8).  Isaiah’s response is the answer we must give when God calls us to holiness.  We must open our hearts and our lives to His will and become holy.

   Holiness is not something we can attain on our own, it is a gift from God.  It is a way of life, a decision to live for God rather than for self.  It's the way we treat everyone we meet, the love we have in our hearts for God and for our neighbors and even our enemies.  We can’t become holy by good works, but our holiness urges us to do good works.

   God calls everyone.  Some He calls to specific vocations, but he calls all to holiness.  The choice is ours; will we accept His call or reject it? 

Lord, You call all to holiness.

Make me holy.

Teach me Your ways.

Help me to live in Your will. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment