Wednesday, April 7, 2021

 The Road to Emmaus 

   “Then, beginning with Moses and all the prophets he interpreted to them what referred to him in all the scriptures. (Luke 24: 27) 

   I many times feel like the disciples on the road to Emmaus, confused over things that have happened, not understanding why or what it means.  There are times when I feel lost and wish someone would come alongside me and explain things to me as Jesus did to the disciples.

   Life is a mystery in so many ways.  I don’t understand most of it and I’ve come to accept that I never will.  That’s OK, it’s probably better that I don’t know everything.  My fear is that if I knew it would destroy my faith.  With complete knowledge there is no need for faith.

   I don’t need faith to know that two plus two equals four and it always will.  But I do need faith to accept that whatever happens, God is in control.  In scripture God never fully reveals Himself.  To Moses He appeared in the burning bush, to Elijah in the small quiet voice.   He reveals Himself to me in much the same way, partially, but never completely.  But it is in these small understandings that He gives me peace and comfort.  It is there that I find the serenity that comes from the presence of God.

   I sometimes think I would like to know all there is to know about God and His plan, but then I realize that I am not intended to know, I am to trust and have faith.  In faith there is comfort, in trust there is peace.  In love there is the confidence that all will be well; God is in control. 

Sometimes this world makes no sense.

I don’t understand.

Sometimes I wish I understood.

But I know that what I truly need is to trust.

Help me always trust in You.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment