Thursday, April 22, 2021

 Be Joyful 

   “A joyful heart is the health of the body, but a depressed spirit dries up the bones.” (Proverbs 17: 22) 

   If I do not have joy in my heart, I need to question my spirituality.  As Christians we are to be a joyful people, knowing the happiness and contentment that awaits us.

   This does not mean that I will never know sadness or sorrow.  Satan ensures that there is sufficient evil in the world to cause all of us pain and sorrow from time to time.  But I can’t allow the trials of this world to detract from the joy that is to come.  Even in the worst of times I must look to God for the comfort and peace that He gives, both in this world and in the world to come.

   Suffering is a part of Christianity; it can’t be avoided.  We, as Catholics, are told to offer our suffering to the Lord.  I struggled with understanding what that meant for quite some time.  I finally realized that, at least for me, it means that I must offer any suffering that might come my way as an offering of thanks for the suffering He endured for me.  I must place my suffering in His hands and seek the peace He offers.

   Life in a fallen world will never be free of suffering and sorrow.  Christ knew suffering more than we ever will.  He knew deep sorrow that those He came to save rejected and despised Him.  In the Garden of Gethsemane our Lord gave us the answer to suffering in this world when He prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me; yet, not as I will but as you will. (Matt 26: 39).

   When I consider the joy and peace to come when this life is over, any pain or suffering I might have to endure is put into perspective; it does not destroy but strengthens my faith in God and His promises. 

In Your love You suffered for me.

I offer You my pain and sorrow.

I trust in Your promises. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment