Monday, April 19, 2021

 Living Each Day 

   When I awake in the morning I have no way of knowing if this could be my last day on earth.  Jesus told the Apostles, “Even all the hairs of your head are counted.” (Matt 10: 30).  The length of my life was known by God before I was ever born.  It’s important to my spiritual life to remember that and, more importantly, to live my life as if this day is my last.

   Considering my mortality reminds me of how important it is to do all I can to keep myself in a state of grace.  Death is not the end but a transition from this life to next.  Our soul is immortal and will continue throughout eternity.  It is up to me to determine whether that eternity will be spent in the presence of God or in Hell, the absence of God and all hope.

   Jesus said, “Can any of you by worrying add a single moment to your life-span?” (Matt 6: 27).  Thinking about my mortality does not mean that I worry about it.  That would be foolish since there’s nothing I can do to change it.  What I can and must do is plan for it. 

   Living each day aware that it may be the last may seem morbid but is actually a very practical way of approaching life.  Fretting about my mortality is useless but preparing my soul for that eventuality is crucial. 

You know the number of my days.

I must prepare myself for the end.

Be it today or years from now.

In Your will there is peace and assurance. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment