Friday, April 2, 2021

 Forgive Them 

   “Father, forgive them, they know not what they do.” (Luke 23: 24) 

   These words from Jesus spoken from the pain and agony of the cross sum up, in a way, His whole ministry.  He came to forgive, to offer salvation to those who would follow Him.  He gave His very life for that purpose.

   I look at the crucifix and I see love.  I see the desire of God that all may find salvation in the mercy and forgiveness purchased by Jesus on that horrible instrument of torture and death.

   He was rejected by those He had come to save.  He was betrayed by one of those closest to Him, the rest of the apostles had abandoned Him at His arrest.  Only John returned and remained throughout his passion and death.  Peter had denied even knowing Him not once, but three times.  Still, He asked for the Father’s forgiveness.

   He had been scourged to near death, mocked, derided, and insulted.  He had been forced to carry His cross through the streets of Jerusalem, the crowds jeering and taunting Him.  He was fastened to the cross with nails through His hands and feet to die a horrible death.  Still, He asked for the Father’s forgiveness.

   I have sinned, I have turned to evil in my life.  I have done things I shouldn’t have done and failed to do those things I should.  I am unworthy of His love and mercy.  Still, He pleads with the Father for my forgiveness.

   The most evil act ever committed resulted in the most blessed of gifts, forgiveness and salvation.  It truly was a Good Friday. 

On the cross You asked the Father to forgive.

You took the sins of the world upon Yourself.

You died to offer me eternal life

May I live and die for You. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment