Tuesday, April 27, 2021

 God in Simple Things 

   Yesterday morning as I left the house for my morning walk the full moon caught my eye.  It looked to be close enough to just reach out and touch.  It appeared so large and brilliant.  The mountains and valleys were clearly visible.  In its’ beauty I saw the hand of God.

   Finding God is not difficult.  He is everywhere in my life.  He is in my family and the love we share.  My friends and I share His love as well.  He is in the beauty of that moon and His majesty is obvious in the billions of stars in the universe.

   When I was on board ship in the navy one of my favorite things was to go out at night and just look at the stars.  There are no external lights on a navy ship at night, so the darkness is complete.  The number of stars visible was beyond imagination.

   I would find an open place on the deck and lie down, closing my eyes to allow them to fully adjust to the dark.  When I opened them it was always awe-inspiring.  The number of stars I saw, especially on a moonless night, was amazing.  Stars, the milky way, and other nebulas were so clearly visible; it was an incredible sight.

   I vividly remember doing this one night after we had crossed the equator and were in the southern hemisphere.  I did what I always did, but when I opened my eyes and saw the southern cross it occurred to me that the billions of stars above were stars that I had never before seen.  It again reminded me of the majesty of my Lord and His creation.

   My point is relating all this is to say that God is quite easy to find if one truly desires to find Him.  In the stars, the love of family and friends, the laughter of a small child, He is there.  Just open your heart and He will be there. 

Father, You are everywhere.

In the majestic and in the simple.

If we look, we will find You.

Open our hearts to Your presence. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment