Wednesday, April 28, 2021

 The Merciful Heart of Jesus 

   “And if anyone hears my words and does observe them, I do not condemn him, for I did not come to condemn the world but to save the world.” (John 12: 47) 

   There’s an old country song that has a line that says, “God’s gonna get you for that.”  I think far too many people picture God in that way; as a vengeful judge who is just looking for reasons to condemn.  But God doesn’t condemn; if I am condemned, I am condemned by my own sins, not by God.

   Jesus did not hesitate to point out sinfulness, but He always offered mercy and forgiveness rather than condemnation.  The woman caught in adultery was not condemned but told to sin no more.  Even as He listed the sins and faults of the Jewish leaders, He did not condemn them but pointed out their failings as a warning to others.  When the thief on the cross asked Jesus to remember Him when He came into His kingdom he replied, “Amen, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise.” (Luke 23: 43).

   Because of my sinfulness, my words, my failings, I condemn myself.  As a sinful man I can’t repay for my short-comings.  Jesus came in His mercy to pay the price for my sins so that I might be with Him in paradise.

   I have two choices, I can accept the condemnation I have brought upon myself, or I can throw myself at the feet of my Lord, seeking His mercy.  In His mercy He will not reject me but forgive me and welcome me unto Himself. 

I am a sinful man.

I offend You by my words and actions.

I come to you in sorrow for my failings.

In Your mercy save me. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment