Sunday, October 10, 2021

Asking God 

   “Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive.” (Matt 21: 22) 

   Jesus spoke those words to His disciples and His words apply to us as well.  But it’s important to be certain that what we ask is what we truly want.

   What am I to ask of God?  What is truly worth asking of God?  I ask so many things but am I asking the right things?  These questions haunt me at times.

   Am I asking with proper faith?  Jesus told His disciples “Amen, I say to you if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move.” (Matt 17: 20).  Do I have faith the size of a mustard seed?  I would like to think so, but am I really confident that He will do what I ask or is there some small question in the back of my mind?

   And then there’s the question of what I should ask.  I’m not too concerned with moving mountains, but there are things I ask for that I believe are important and proper.  But does my understanding of important agree with God’s?  Is what I think proper, truly proper in God’s eyes?  How am I to know?

   I’ve concluded that the one thing I want more than anything else is for Him to make me holy.  And I’ve also decided that it’s not up to me to tell Him how, but simply accept the holiness He wishes to bestow upon me.  If I ask sincerely, with no question that He will grant my prayer, leaving the details to Him, I am confident that He will lead me to the holiness He desires for me. 

Father, I ask for so much.

But only one thing really matters.

I ask You to make me holy.

And entrust myself to Your will. 

Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment