Wednesday, October 20, 2021

 He Will Come Again 

   “You must also be prepared, for at an hour you do not expect, the Son of Man will come.”  (Luke 12: 40) 

   Behind the altar at my parish is a very large stained glass crucifix.  Just below the feet of our Lord an hourglass is present.  It is there to remind us that the sands of time are constantly growing less and less.  At some point the final grain will drop and time will come to an end.

   The end of time can refer not only to the end of the world, but also to the end of my life on this earth.  In either case I need to live my life as if it may come at any moment, which in fact it may.  I can’t delay, I can’t postpone that day, so I must be ready for it’s coming.

   Only God knows when the last day will come, for me or for the world.  Many people try to read the signs, hoping to determine if the end is near. However, Jesus said, “But of that day or hour, no one knows, neither the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.” (Mark 13: 32).  If even the angels in heaven and the Son do not know when the end will come, how came mere humans expect to know?

   Even though I can't know when the end will come, it really doesn’t matter if I am ready for it.  The end, either of my life or of the world will usher in the peace, joy, and happiness God has intended for us since before time began.  Assuming, of course, that we are prepared. 

“The one who gives this testimony says, ‘Yes, I am coming soon.’  Amen!  Come, Lord Jesus!” 

I don’t know the day Lord.

Help me to be ready.

Lead me on the right path.

When You come, take me to Yourself. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment