Friday, October 15, 2021

Idleness 

   “Never be idle: read, write, meditate, pray, or work for the good of the community.” (Thomas à Kempis, “The Imitation of Christ”) 

   There’s an old saying about idle hands being the devil’s workshop.  Like many old sayings, there is a lot of truth in this one.  When I am just sitting around, not involved in something either mentally or physically I find that thoughts better left unthought come to mind.

   It is rare that there is a time when there isn’t something productive that I could be doing.  Housework is a never-ceasing need, as is taking care of the yard, the car, and various other things in life.  So why it is that I find myself sitting in front of the television watching something of no value, calling it entertainment?  Why am I not at least reading something worthwhile or watching a move or television shows with a decent message?

   I know full well the value of having some “down time” occasionally.  We all need it to simply rest and relax.  However, it’s so easy to allow these idle times to become dominant, a habit that can be hard to break.  Sometimes I sit down to watch one show on television and before I know it, I’ve spent the whole afternoon with the television rather than with God.

   I suppose it’s not possible to avoid idleness completely.  As I said, a certain amount of it is necessary to avoid burn-out which would result in even more idleness.  To me the important thing is to be aware of my idleness and not let it become a problem.  Idleness is, indeed, the workshop of Satan; avoiding it helps me come closer to God. 

Father, I can’t be busy all the time.

There is a time for rest and relaxation.

Even at rest, let me keep You in mind.

Let me relax in Your love and mercy. 

Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment