Monday, October 4, 2021

 The Enemy of Prayer 

   “There is nothing the devil fears so much, or so much tries to hinder, as prayer.” (St. Philip Neri) 

   In my book “The Narrow Gate” I wrote, “When we pray, Satan cringes”.  Prayer is the most powerful weapon we have in our battle against the evil one.  He will do most anything to interfere with it.  Wild thoughts come to mind; insignificant ideas abound; unimportant concerns suddenly seem important, needing immediate attention.  Satan will use any means possible to attack us when we are in prayer.  It’s a struggle, but one that must be overcome if we are to pray as we should.

   During my prayer time, I turn off the television, the radio, and I silence my phone.  Still Satan, that enemy of prayer, pushes into my mind.  He reminds me of something I meant to do and forgot or raises other thoughts or concerns in his efforts to draw me from my prayer.  It seems he never gives up.

   Thankfully, I’ve found an answer that most usually works for me.  I quietly and firmly demand he leave me and invoke Jesus, Mary, and Joseph as my defenders.  Satan flees at the sound of their names.

   I know that no matter what I do, the devil will always try to stop prayer in any way possible.  It’s up to me to take control and reject his efforts. 

Satan hates it when I pray.

Defend me Lord.

Give me the strength to turn Him away.

To remain in union with You. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment