Saturday, October 9, 2021

 What Have I Done? 

   “On the day of judgement we will not be asked what we have read, but what we have done; neither will we be asked how well we have spoken, but how devoutly we have lived.” (Thomas à Kempis – “The Imitation of Christ”) 

   I have spent a lot of time reading about and studying my faith.  I think it is very important that we all know our faith as well as possible.  If not, we can easily be taken in by false prophets and wolves in sheep’s clothing.  A good knowledge of God and our faith is vital if we are to lead a fully Christian life.

   But it doesn’t matter how much I know about my faith if I don’t put it into practice.  I can know all the doctrines and dogmas and be able to quote scripture on many subjects.  I may be a great orator, impressing all who hear me speak.  But if I have not lived my life for God, I’ve done nothing.

   The priests, scribes, and Pharisees of Jesus’ time were very knowledgeable in the Torah, and its laws.  They knew the prophets and their prophecies.  And yet they could not see the completion of those laws and the fulfillment of those prophecies in Jesus.  As a result, they failed to recognize the one who could offer them eternal life.

   Jesus said, “And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.” (Matt 25: 40).  When I stand before the Lord at my judgement, He will not review my diplomas or educational accomplishments; He won’t analyze the words I’ve spoken or written.  I will be judged on how I lived my life. 

Father, help me to better know You.

Help me to better know my faith.

Above all, help me to live my life for You.

Loving You and all your children. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment