Monday, October 25, 2021

 In The Silence 

   Silence has become a friend to me.  A safe place far from the world and it’s problems.  A place where I can be at peace with my Lord and simply be.

   I’ve gone on many silent retreats in my life and they have always been spiritually refreshing.  I sometimes feel as if I am now on a continuous silent retreat.  There is no one in the house but me, the television is rarely on, and if it is it is usually tuned to some relaxing music.

   Of course, I still interact with others at various times.  I very much enjoy the company of my family and friends; they are a blessing in so many ways.  The meals we share, the conversations we have bring me great joy.  Companionship is necessary; God said, “It is not good for man to be alone.” (Gen 2: 18). 

   However, most of my time is in silence in my own personal monastery here in Ocala.  Unless I am at a dinner with friends or family all sources of noise or distractions in my home are in most cases ignored or silenced by no later than six o’clock.  The rest of the evening belongs to me and God.  I read, I pray, I listen; I grow closer to God in these quiet times.

   Silence is probably not for everyone, but I have found great peace and joy in my quiet times with the Lord.  The hours I spend in quiet communion with Him as some of the best hours of my life. 

There’s too much noise in the world.

Silence is hard to find.

I need the quiet to be with You.

To come to know you better. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment