Friday, October 1, 2021

 Live This Moment 

   “So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own.  Today’s troubles are enough for today.”  (Matt 6: 34, RSVCE) 

   When wake up in the morning I have no way of knowing if I will still be alive when it comes time for bed.  When I go to bed at night I have no way of knowing if I will awaken in the morning.  Today or tomorrow are not certain, this moment may be all I have.

   Maybe it’s because my wife has passed, or that I live in a retirement community and attend far too many funerals.  Maybe it’s because St. Benedict, in his rule, advises to always be aware of my mortality.  Whatever the reason I am very much aware that length of life is the domain of God.  There is nothing I can do to change that.  Jesus said, “Even all the hairs of your head are counted.” (Matt 10: 30).  Before I came into existence the length of my life was already decided.

   Some may think this morbid, but it really isn’t.  What I consider morbid is living life as if I will live forever, forgetting that it isn’t up to me, but God.  As I consider the fact of mortality it causes me to be more attentive to living for God rather than self.  If I am to depart this day, I want to be certain that I am prepared spiritually for Jesus to take me to Himself.

   Life is to be enjoyed, and I do enjoy my life.  I love my family and friends and God has blessed me greatly so many ways.  However, my mortal life is limited, so I will plan for eternity rather than worry about tomorrow. 

Father, I thank you for the blessings of this life.

Help me use them according to Your will.

Let me not worry what tomorrow might bring.

But trust in You and plan for eternal life. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment