Tuesday, October 26, 2021

 The Winds of the World 

   “I can’t change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.” (Jimmy Dean) 

   Winds change; a northerly wind may shift to the northeast, a southerly wind to the southwest.  Sometimes the wind simply ceases.  If I am to reach my destination in a world tossed about by the winds of sin and evil, I must learn to overcome the wind regardless the direction in which it may blow.

   Each day I am buffeted by sinful winds.  The winds generated by Satan and his temptations.  Each day requires at least a slight adjustment in my sails to remain on course to God.  I can’t rely on the wind to guide me home, so I must rely on God, seeking His direction.  I must give Him the helm of my little boat and allow Him to bring me to safe harbor.

   “He woke up, rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, ‘Quiet! Be still!’  The wind ceased and there was great calm.” (Mark 4: 39).  When I feel my ship is about to be swamped I trust that Jesus can calm the violent seas and quiet the wind.  Though I may not even know that He has acted, He watches over me in times of rough seas and troubles.

   Only the coming of Jesus in His glory can change the sinful winds of the world.  Until then I must trust myself to Him, assured of His love and mercy, knowing that he will guide me safely home. 

The winds of sin are everywhere.

But you calm them.

Temptations abound.

Give me the strength to reject them. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment