Thursday, October 28, 2021

 Loving God 

   “The point is to love God a great deal.  How do we love God a great deal?  By loving Him little by little.” (Dom Prosper GuĂ©ranger, “The Spirit of Solesmes”). 

   Have you ever noticed that sometimes the simplest thing we may do for another is received with the greatest gratitude?  Especially between a husband and wife, it is so often the little things of daily life, the continuous giving of each other, that bind the two and make them one.

   I think my relationship with God is very much the same.  He knows that I cannot love Him as He loves me, but He knows too that I want to love Him more, and I believe that my efforts to do so please Him.  Children give so much to their parents in the little things they do each day.  If I am to be a child of God, I must try to please Him in the same ways.

   It’s become quite common in my daily life to say a simple prayer as the day progresses.  Nothing long, nothing detailed, just a quick, “Thanks Lord” or “Help me with this one please”.  One of my favorites is, “Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, pray for me.”

   Many saints have mentioned that simple, quick prayers throughout the day are beneficial in building a relationship with God.  In these simple prayers, offered throughout the day I communicate with Him; they bring me closer to Him.

   There are great things that can be done in service to God, but I will most likely never have the opportunity to do them.  Instead, I’ll continue loving Him to the best of my ability, always wanting to love Him more.  I will offer the simple things, the small, quiet prayers throughout the day.  I will give Him as much as I can in the knowledge that in His love He will accept my efforts. 

I wish I could do more.

In my weakness I struggle.

I offer the best I have.

Help me to offer better. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment