Saturday, October 30, 2021

 Communion With God 

   “Can you imagine any greater thing than to have communion with God himself and to be wholly absorbed by Him?” (Evagrios of Pontus, “The Book of Mystical Chapters, Meditations on the Souls Ascent”) 

   I can’t conceive of any greater blessing that to be totally and completely absorbed in God, living His will in all things.  Sadly, I’m not at all certain that such an experience is possible in this life.  However, it is certainly something to strive for and to look forward to in eternity.

    “You inspire us to take delight in praising you, for you have made us for yourself, and our hearts are restless until we rest in you.” (St. Augustine, “Confessions”).  We were created to be one with God and until we become one with Him, we can never be satisfied or truly happy.  It is that communion with God that I seek.  It is that communion with God that I believe everyone seeks even though they may not know it. 

   Peace of heart comes with peace with God.  When I am seeking His will I am at peace even though I sometimes fail in my efforts.  When I feel restlessness within, I understand that I have somehow strayed and need to return to the path He has established for me.  There is no peace without God in my heart.

   This world can never give me what I want; it can never provide true peace and happiness.  Only when I can be fully in communion with Him, totally absorbed into His being, can there be the peace that each of us was created to know. 

Take me unto Yourself Lord.

Let me become one with You.

Take from me the desires of this world.

Let me desire only You. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment