Tuesday, October 12, 2021

 Pearls of Great Value 

   “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant searching for fine pearls.  When he finds a pearl of great value, he goes and sells all that he has and buys it.” (Matt 13: 46 – 46) 

   The pearl spoken of by Jesus in this parable is not one of great monetary value.  We can’t place a value on heaven, on the salvation of our soul.  The greatest pearl is the love and mercy of God.

   I was eighteen years old and had been in the Navy less than a year when I asked my wife to marry me.  To my great joy she said yes!  Since money was very tight, the engagement rink she accepted was quite inexpensive, a small diamond in a simple setting. 

   Over the years, as finances improved, I tried many times to replace that ring with one with a larger diamond and nicer setting.  Each time she refused, saying that she had accepted my proposal and my love with that ring and that was the most valuable ring she would ever own.

   During our marriage I bought many pieces of jewelry for my wife, some quite expensive, but she clung to that cheap engagement ring.  I finally came to realize that the cost of the ring was not what she prized but the love it represented.  I continued to buy nice things for her but never again tried to replace her “pearl of great value”.

   If we could grasp the true value of the things in our life rather than how much they cost, I think we would be much more satisfied with what we have.  If we can envision heaven as our pearl of great value, knowing that all in this life will pass away, I know we can grow closer to our Lord. 

Father, money cannot buy the pearl of great value.

You offer it freely by Your love and mercy.

May I always seek that pearl.

May I always remain in Your love. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment