Saturday, October 16, 2021

Learned Ignorance 

   “Be still and know that I am God!”  (Psalm 46: 11) 

   I have spent a lot of time over the years in trying to better know my faith, researching the beginnings and growth of the Church.  I’ve researched the doctrines, dogmas, and practices to better understand where and why they originated.  I continue to study and learn but have come to realize that I will never know all there is to know.

   What I have learned is that I am not capable of, nor am I intended to know and understand everything of God’s will.  As God told Isaiah, “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, my thoughts higher than your thoughts.” (Isaiah 55: 9).  Isaiah is considered one of the greatest prophets of the Lord.  If even he could not fully understand the ways of God, I certainly have no hope of understanding all.

   I am at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to knowing the ways of God; He is perfect, and I am far from it.  How can I expect to understand the One who created this universe and all that is in it?  I can’t!  I can try to better understand but I must recognize that much of it is far beyond my ability to comprehend.  Perhaps I will fully understand in the next life, but never in this one.

   I will continue to study and learn more about my God and my faith.  I believe I have a responsibility to understand as best I can so that I can serve Him better.  However, I will also remember that He is God, and I am not; His ways are far beyond my simple understanding. 

I want to know You better.

I want to understand.

But I am a simple man.

Teach me Lord. 

Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment