Friday, October 22, 2021

 True Love 

   “But God proves his love for us in that while we were still sinners Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:8) 

   This morning I spent some time on my knees before the crucifix, looking up at my Lord nailed to the cross.  I am always both thankful and sorrowful when I consider the sacrifice He made for me.  I know it should have been me who was nailed to the cross, it was my sins that needed atonement.  Yet only a perfect sacrifice could atone, and perfection isn’t part of humanity.  Out of His great love, Jesus paid the price for my sins with His life, offering me eternal life.

   I wish there were a way for me to repay Him but it simply isn’t possible.  Everything that exists was created by Him and belongs to Him; what could I give Him?  Then it occurred to me that true love is unconditional.  It is not given as a means of gaining repayment or favors from another, but only for the good of the other.

   I can’t repay, but I can give thanks to Jesus for opening the door to heaven, for offering me redemption and the forgiveness of my sins.  I can do this by offering Him my life; He lived for me, let me live for Him.  I can offer Him my joys and happiness; it all comes from Him.  I can give Him thanks even for my pain and sorrows, they are a sharing in His pain and sorrow, they bring me closer to Him.  I can offer Him my death; He died for me, let me die for Him.  Most of all I can give Him my love, even though I can never love as He loves.

   Jesus does not expect repayment, His gifts are from His perfect love.  He demands nothing of me and yet still loves me.  He gave His all to offer me salvation and eternal life with Him.  It is up to me to give my all to Him.

 

Your love has no strings.

You give it freely.

Take my love I pray.

Let me give myself to You.

 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment