Wednesday, October 27, 2021

 How Am I To Pray? 

   “For me, prayer is a surge of the heart; it is a simple look turned toward heaven, it is a cry of recognition and of love, embracing both trial and joy.” (St. Therese of Lisieux) 

   To me St. Therese has most perfectly described the essence of prayer.  It’s beauty lies in it’s simplicity.  How much more can I do than to turn my eyes and my heart to God?

   Some seem to think the more words used the better the prayer.  Their prayers go on and on usually praying for the same things over and over.  As if the number of times they ask increases the chances of the answer they want.  Rather, simply pray that God’s will be done.

   Others never approach God in prayer.  They simply ignore Him and go about their lives wondering why they are never truly happy.  They strive for satisfaction in their life but never realize that only in God can true satisfaction and happiness be found.  There are earthly pleasures and joys, but none that will lead to eternal life.

   St. Paul says we don’t know how to pray, “The Spirit comes to the aid of our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes with inexpressible groanings.” (Romans 8: 36).  If we are still, if we listen, if we open our hearts and our minds, I believe the Spirit will teach us how we are to pray.

   I would never consider trying to tell someone how to pray.  I would only suggest spending sufficient quiet time with the Lord, asking Him how you are to pray. Then be still and listen with your heart. 

My prayer is a simple one.

I am Yours.

Use me as You please.

Your will, not mine, be done. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment