Saturday, January 4, 2020


Glory to God

   “Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to your name give glory, for the sake of your steadfast love and your faithfulness. (Psalm 115: 1)

   How many times have you seen someone give the credit and praise to God for their accomplishments?  It seems to be quite rare these days.  Admittedly I’m in the older generation but I recall people in the entertainment industry, sports and business world, honoring God for their many blessings.  Today far too many want to take all the credit upon themselves.

   It’s not that they don’t want to give credit where credit is due, they simply don’t understand to whom the recognition should go.  They praise themselves for their accomplishments rather than the God who blessed them with the opportunity to be successful.

   Athletes work very hard to train, but without the physical stature and ability God has  given them it would be to no avail.  Scientists, doctors, and theologians study for years to gain their great knowledge and continue studying to keep it current.  Yet God gave them the mind capable of learning and absorbing such complex knowledge.  Pride of accomplishment affects everyone, many times denying God the praise and glory He is due.

   I am neither an athlete nor a learned individual, but I strive to remember that any success I may have had is attributable to God, not me.  Without His will I would not arise in the morning.  Unless He so chooses, I will not even exist.  It is His will, not mine that gives me life.  It is by His desire that my life continues.  It is for me to seek His will and follow it.

   Jesus said, “For mortals it is not possible, but for God all things are possible.” (Matt 19:26).  If we live by these words our successes will give glory to our Lord.  In humility let’s give Him all the credit.

Father, I can do nothing without You.
Any good I may do is Your working within me.
Make me a tool in Your hands.
Guide me on the path You choose.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment