Thursday, January 16, 2020


I Am Cleansed

   “A leper came to him begging him, and kneeling he said to him, ‘If you choose, you can make me clean.’  Moved with pity, Jesus stretched out his hand and touched him, and said to him, ‘I do choose.  Be made clean!’”  (Mark 1: 40 – 41)

   The gospel reading for today reminded me of the many conditions Jesus healed during His ministry, not just physical conditions but wounded souls.

   As a convert to Catholicism I was baptized as an adult.  My soul was very much deformed by sin, both original and personal.  I had lived a life in which God was virtually absent.  I never prayed, never read the bible, never even thought much about God.  As the priest poured the baptismal waters over me my soul was healed.  Just as He cleansed the leper, God had cleansed my soul and made it whole.

   I wish I could say that I’ve lived a pious life ever since but that would be a lie.  My soul, miraculously washed cleaned at baptism did not remain so.  Each sin I committed stained and diminished it.  The soul given me by God and cleansed by baptism suffered greatly by my sins.

   I still struggle and I still sin, but I’m at peace with God and what He is doing with me and my soul.  He strengthens my faith and forgives my sins, again cleansing my soul in confession.  Each time I seek reconciliation He is there welcoming me, forgiving me in His love and mercy.

   During Mass as we prepare to receive our Lord in Holy Eucharist a prayer is said, “Lord, I am not worthy that You should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul will be healed.”  Once again He heals my soul by His Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity.  All praise and thanksgiving to Him forever!

Lord, You heal my soul.
You forgive my sins and restore me.
I place myself totally in Your mercy.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment