Wednesday, January 29, 2020


Mysteries

   If I am to be a Christian I must accept that there are mysteries that I cannot understand.  Some can be quite difficult, but it is necessary for me to trust in God rather than question things I have no way of understanding.

Miracles, mysteries, occur each day.  As a Catholic I witness one of the greatest miracles each time I attend Mass.  A piece of unleavened bread and a cup of wine become the body, blood, soul and divinity of my Lord, Jesus Christ.  It looks no different and tastes no different, but I have no doubt that it has changed.  I trust in Christ when He said that I must eat His body and drink His blood if I am to have eternal life.  He doesn’t lie; it is as He said.

   At times accepting the mystery is extremely hard and painful.  When my wife passed away one of my grandsons kept asking why.  I didn’t have an answer for him just as I didn’t understand myself.  As difficult and heart-breaking as it was the only answer was trust in God.  He has sustained me, comforted me and been my rock.

   There are so many things that are beyond my understanding.  Eternal joy and happiness in the presence of God is one of those.  I can’t comprehend an existence that never ends and is not bound by time.  I can’t imagine a place of such joy and peace.  Yet I accept the mystery, giving my life to God, in the expectation of such an incredible, glorious existence.

   Miracles happen, mysteries exist.  I do not understand and will never do so in this life.  But I trust that God has all in hand and place all my faith in Him.

Lord there is so much I don’t understand.
Your mysteries are beyond my knowing.
I accept them because You are God.
I am at peace with the mysteries.

Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment