Friday, January 24, 2020

Unworthy

   “For I am the least of the apostles, unfit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.  But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me has not been in vain.” (1 Cor 15: 8 – 9)

   No one is worthy of God’s blessings.  Just as no one can become holy without the grace of God, worthiness cannot be achieved unless God wills it. 

   Paul recognized that he was not worthy to be an apostle of God.  He understood that it was only by the grace of God that he became the apostle to the gentiles.  In describing the way Christ had worked in her soul, St. Therese of Lisieux said, “He does not call those who are worthy, but those whom he pleases.”

   As I look back over my life I see so many signs of my unworthiness.  The sins I’ve committed were the cause of the crucifixion of Christ.  I recognize that and try to avoid sin, but I fail and sin again.  Rather than the blessings of God I am worthy only for His disdain.  And yet He loves me, forgives me, and chooses me as one of His children.

   No matter how hard I try I remain a flawed man unworthy of Him.  I can’t earn holiness or worthiness; they are a gift of God.  I am not His because I am holy or worthy, but I desire to be made so.

Lord I am not worthy of Your love.
I am not holy, but You can make me so.
I am not worthy, but You can make me so.
I pray that You will make me so.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment