Tuesday, January 7, 2020


The Lord’s Place

   “And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you may be also.” (John 14: 3)

   We try so hard to define God, heaven and hell in terms we can understand.  In truth that is a futile effort.  As long as we remain in this world we can never truly know and understand what is to come.  I’ve finally decided that I don’t need to know; I just need to believe.

   Jesus promised that He would come and take me to Himself.  I used to think of heaven as a place.  That is all we know, a physical location bounded in size and shape.  And yet, eternity has no size, no shape, no physical location.  We are not going to a place as we understand that term, Jesus is taking us to Himself.  What that means is beyond all human understanding.  I must trust that it is what I was created for and is the finality for which I am to strive; to become one with Christ.

   Perhaps heaven is a unity with God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit and all those who have believed before us and who will believe after us.  I sometimes envision it as a oneness that can’t be imagined or explained in our limited understanding.  Something that must be experienced; something that can’t be experienced in this life.

   Jesus also tells us, “And you know the way to the place I am going.” (John 14: 4).  His disciples asked as we do today how can we know the way when we don’t know where He is going?  His answer was simple when you think about it, “I am the way, the truth and the life.” (John 14: 6).

   He is the way, Holy Scripture our guide.  Trust in Him; He has promised and He keeps His promises.  Amen, Come Lord Jesus!

Lord, You are the way.
Let me always look to You.
Let me give my life to You.
That You may bring me to Yourself.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment