Saturday, January 18, 2020


Temple of the Holy Spirit

   “Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, which you have from God, and that you are not your own?  For you were bought with a price; therefore glorify God in your body.” (1 Cor 6: 19)

   We are to be a temple of the Holy Spirit.  The Spirit wants to dwell within you and me even though we are sinners.  If the Holy Spirit is to live within me I have some work to do.

   I must cleanse myself of sin and immorality; my temple is full of earthly desires, wants and cravings.  These must be taken out with the trash and the whole of my being swept clean if I am to receive the Holy Spirit.  I would not expect Him to reside in place unworthy so I must try my best to become worthy.

   If He is to live within me I must welcome His arrival with praise and thanksgiving.  I do all I can to make a guest in my home feel welcome and I must do as much and more for the Holy Spirit.  I must greet Him with love; I must endeavor to make Him comfortable in this sad temple that is my body.

   Jesus cleansed the temple of Jerusalem of the money traders and those making it a marketplace (see Mark 11: 15).  If the Holy Spirit is to dwell within me I must allow Him to drive out the evil that all men have within; I must let Him make this temple Holy.

Lord You sent the Advocate to live within me.
I open my heart and my soul to the Spirit within.
May He cleanse this temple and make it His.
Come Holy Spirit, come!

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment