Monday, January 13, 2020

Relying on the Lord

   We are, by nature, impatient.  We want it, we want our way and we want it now.  That doesn’t work well in our spiritual life.  What we want may not be what is best; we may not be ready for what we ask.  God alone knows how to give us what we truly need.

    “Is there anyone among you who, if your child asks for bread, will give a stone?  Or if the child asks for a fish, will give a snake?  If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good things to those who ask him!”  (Matt: 9 – 11).  These words of Jesus clearly tell me that God will give good things to me when I ask.  But He will never give bad things, even if I pray for them.  Sometimes I’m sure I pray for what I think is right and good for me when God knows better.  He answers my prayers but perhaps not in the way I expect.

   My relationship with God is a life-long learning experience.  I strive to listen and rely on Him and I learn of His eternal love and mercy.  I try my best to avoid sin and He forgives me when I fail.  I ask for what I think is best and He gives me what is truly best.  I think I can do it myself and He says, “Be still and know that I am God!” (Psalm 46: 10)

Father, You know what is best.
I submit my will to Yours.
My way is not always Yours.
May your will always be done.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment