Friday, September 11, 2020

 Anger Solves Nothing

 

   When I was younger I had a pretty short fuse.  It didn’t take very much to get me started and it sometimes took a while to calm me down.  I was never violent but could, at times, be quiet abrasive in my words.  My anger was most usually directed at what I considered the stupid things people did and said.

   Over the years I’ve learned that anger is not a good course to take.  It usually makes the situation worse rather than better and is harmful to me both physically and spiritually.  I’ve learned that anger, among so many other things, is a tool of Satan to disrupt the peace in my life.  Like all things of the evil one, it is best left alone.

   There are those who get so angry about things they can do nothing about that it disrupts their peace and causes even greater frustration.  There is perhaps much to be angry about both in society and in the Church, but anger does little to resolve those issues.  Better to recognize the futility of our anger and pray for those who are practicing the evil.  I don't mean that the evil should be ignored or not confronted, only that anger is not the answer.  I believe our prayers are far more powerful than our anger.

   There is, however, an anger known as righteous anger.  In certain rare circumstances this anger, directed at evil, can be justified.  Jesus expressed righteous anger when He threw the money changers and vendors out of the temple (John 2: 14 – 15).  This is the anger one can rightly have for those who disrespect and blaspheme the Lord.  But even righteous anger must be tempered with prayer for the offenders and their eternal souls.

   Anger is a violent emotion; it steals our peace.  It may even urge us to violence in action.  In prayer we seek the healing of all and desire the peace of God for all.  I believe prayer is by far the better choice. 

There is so much to be angry about.

But my anger solves nothing.

My prayers are powerful and right.

Help me reject anger and turn to prayer. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment